Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thoughts on the Boston Red Sox 1/27/11

                                                                                                                                                                

What it do, errbody? Goodness gracious, it has been awhile since my last blog post. January 15th to be exact. It has been a weird week for me. Sorry for the lackage (is that even a word?) of blog posting; I’ll make it up to you I promise! What exactly? I don’t know. You let me know what you want. That’s why they call me Mr. FedEx because I always deliver. CHEESY. I know.


On Monday while I was going to work, the car was making awkward noises. At first I couldn’t make out what it was because it was just a streaking of thumping noises. My father didn’t even notice something was wrong with the car until I mentioned it. After a couple of guesses, I thought to myself, “Sounds like a flat tire.” Lo and behold was I right. Luckily my father was driving me because if it were just me, I would’ve freaked out (don’t make fun of me). Unfortunately, that meant I was going to be late which I knew was going to happen.


After coming off of work, I heard bad news that my grandmother had a fall. I didn’t know what to make of it because she had a fall from a previous time but it didn’t prove to be too serious. This one was a little different. She fell to the point where she landed on her face from what she told me. There are contusions and what looks like burn marks (bruises?) on her forehead and around her eyes. I’m thinking she slipped on ice.


My grandma does WAY too many things for my family. I appreciate EVERYTHING she does and I do not take it for granted. It’s hard to tell her to just take it easy. She just keeps going and going and that’s what I admire about her. I’m just glad that she’s not seriously injured and didn’t break any bones. She’s a strong woman. That’s all that matters to me.














Now that that’s off my chest… time to clear out my mind with…







10 Thoughts





1) February 14. This is the day Red Sox pitchers and catchers will report to Spring Training. So. Unbelievably. Excited. Mark those calendars. Circle that date. Only 18 more days until we get a glimpse of what the Red Sox will look like.


2) There is going to be a reasonably high (and rightfully so) amount of expectations for this team when baseball season starts. How can there not be? With the additions of stud players, Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford, the Red Sox have also bolstered up a much-needed help in the bullpen with Bobby Jenks, Dan Wheeler, and Matt Albers. Gone are the Manny Delcarmen’s; the Ramon Ramirez’s, and a bunch of other spot relievers. Hideki Okajima, though, will be coming back for one more round.







Hip, hip, HOORAY








3) Although I hate to make predictions right now, it would be rather unrealistic to say that the Red Sox are already reserving a trip to the World Series. I can most certainly understand why people would say that because quite frankly, the Sox DO look good on paper. ON PAPER. ON PAPER. Who’s to say the Red Sox are going to have a good, clean, healthy team by playoffs? (Yes, I’m foreshadowing the Sox will make it to the playoffs) You can’t disregard injuries and under-achievements; they’re part of the nature of the game. I certainly like the chances of the Red Sox going to the World Series though. That’s for sure. With the fact that Jacoby Ellsbury, Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, Mike Cameron, and hell, even Marco Scutaro will all be healthy when the season starts is encouraging. Throw in Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez, I’d say the chances are pretty darn good.


4) The catching situation is going to be tricky. Do the Red Sox let Jarrod Saltalamacchia catch on Opening Day? Or do the Sox go with Jason Varitek? They’re saying Jason Varitek will be the backup catcher just like last year; only he will be playing a lot more often. Do they go with experience or the inexperienced? It will all likely depend on how Saltalamacchia performs and if he can stay uninjured.


5) Speaking of Opening Day, who do you think will be the Opening Day pitcher? I would have to say Jon Lester. It’s time for Josh Beckett to pass that torch and give it to the most consistent pitcher for the Sox the past 2-3 years. I hope Theo, Tito, and management will make the right move and let Lester pitch. Make Josh Beckett have to earn back that moniker. Right now, Jon Lester should be considered the “ace” of the staff. I’d like the starting rotation to go: Jon Lester, Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz, John Lackey, and Daisuke Matsuzaka.







Move over Beckett, there’s a new ace in town








6) Marco Scutaro or Jed Lowrie for starting shortstop? I’d like to say Jed Lowrie, but that’s not happening. Why? Because you don’t sit down whatever sump of money Scutaro’s contract is to be on the bench. Jed Lowrie is also going to have to prove that he will be healthy going on the duration of a 162 game marathon. Only then can I see Lowrie vying games at shortstop. Hopefully he will be more than just a super-utility infielder. The guy definitely has upsides to his game.


7) Over or under? J.D. Drew will likely visit the D.L. four times.


8) Can we count on David Ortiz having a super slump again in May? Does a slow start show on the forecast? Hopefully for Big Papi’s sake, he won’t. Theo and co. generously picked up his option and he will be here in 2011. What happens after that will depend on his season in 2011. Would Red Sox Nation be able to live on life after the Big Papi era?














9) It’s still crazy to me to think that the Red Sox once had John Smoltz. I can’t be the only person who thinks of this. Can I?


10) Can the season start any sooner?! NOW PLEASE!







Be blessed, my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment